Pages

Sunday, November 6, 2011

Getting My Craft On: Decorative Step Stool

Well, I didn't finish cleaning my walk-in closet last weekend.  I was way too busy getting my little one ready for Halloween, baking a ton of cake balls (delish), and just generally avoiding the task at hand.  So this weekend I decided to procrastinate a little more and be crafty instead.  I've been wanting to decorate a little step stool for my son to use in the bathroom.  I figured this weekend was as good as any!

Here's my step-by-step guide to making your very own mod-podge step stool:

1) Purchase Supplies - step stool, spray paint, printed cardstock, mod podge, and clear varnish.  You will also need scissors, paint brush, and possibly sand paper (I didn't use sand paper).  I purchased my supplies at Hobby Lobby with 50% off coupons, so I didn't spend a lot of money on this project. 

2) Spray paint your stool with your base color.  Let dry.  (Choose a color that compliments your cardstock because some of the painted wood will show after your stool is finished.)

3) Choose cardstock for each section of the stool, unless you want to use the same pattern throughout.  (I used 3 different patterns for mine.)

4) Lay stool on paper and trace around it to make a pattern.  Cut out each piece.

5) Use Mod Podge to adhere your cardstock to the stool.  Let dry.  Make sure to smooth out cardstock during drying process so that you don't get any bubbles or air pockets. 


6) Once the stool is covered with paper, lightly sand off any rough edges, if necessary.  (As you can see, I did not cover bottom of stool or in between panels on top.)

7) Coat stool with clear varnish.  Let dry.

8) Display your stool!


This project was super easy and really quick.  I know this one looks all grown-up and mature, but it's going in our guest bathroom so I wanted it to match.  I am going to make another step stool for our master bathroom.  This time I will make a fun kiddy stool... I'm thinking sports balls or longhorns or my son's name.  I'll keep you posted!

No comments:

Post a Comment