Pages

Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Favorite Pregnancy Things


I think I'm going to do a series of "Favorite Things" postings over the next month (or two... or three).  You know, my favorite baby things, favorite toddler things, etc... Today's entry will be a list of my favorite pregnancy things for you prego girls out there!  These are in no particular order.  (And feel free to add some of your favorite items in the comments section :)

Be Band - The Be Band is Target's version of the popular (and more expensive) Bella Band.  This stretchy piece of fabric serves as a transitioning accessory when you are getting too big for your regular clothes, but are still too small for maternity clothes.  It basically lets you get around with your pants unbuttoned because it holds your pants in place.  (My shirts concealed the band, so no one knew I had my pants unzipped and unbuttoned.)  It's a great way to postpone buying maternity clothes.  And if maternity pants are still too big for you, the Be Band holds them in place so they don't end up around your knees!


Palmer's Cocoa Butter Belly Butter For Stretchmarks - I started off using the Palmers Cocoa Butter Lotion, but I found that, aside from being expensive, it didn't go very far.  The belly butter is a more concentrated formula than the lotion, so it's a lot thicker and therefore goes a really long way.  According to the website, it is "widely recommended for stretch marks during and after pregnancy".  It contains Vitamin E, collagen, elastin, and soothing lavendar.  It also soothes and moisturizes your dry, itchy skin.  It's clinically and dermatologically tested.  I used this stuff every single day when I was pregnant!

Especially For Mom Maternity Support - My back/belly support (plus a lot of pregnancy massages) really helped relieve my lower/middle back pain.  According to the packaging, it is also meant to relieve pain in the legs and abdomen.  It's lightweight, easy to wear, and doesn't show under your clothing.  Its not restrictive like a corset with boning, but it still does its job.  It's made from a lightweight, beathable elastic and fastens with velcro.  Because of the elastic and velcro, it grows with your belly, so you can wear the same support throughout your pregnancy.  My only complaint (which isn't about the product itself) is that toward the end of my pregnancy, the belly support put a lot of pressure on my already compressed bladder.  But it helped with the back pain, so I had to suck it up! 


Prenatal Massage - I can't say enough wonderful things about the physical and mental benefits of a professional massage (or any good massage, really).  Studies indicate that massage therapy during pregnancy is extremely beneficial to  you and baby for a number of reasons.  If your obgyn approves, and you can afford it, I would highly recommend prenatal massages from a certified prenatal massage therapist or doula.  I had some serious backpain my last trimester and a doula helped me through it.  Unfortunately, it was a bit too pricey for us, so I couldn't do it as much as I would have liked.  My hubby was a suitable replacement masseuse, though ;)

Polar Heart Rate Monitor Watch - I enjoy running so this little gadget was pretty important to me.  My obgyn approved my running as long as I monitored my heart rate and kept it below a certain level.  A heart rate monitor watch helps you track your heart rate so that during exercise you get to just the right intensity and stay below a certain exertion level.  These can be pricey, but I got a great one on Amazon for about $30.

No comments:

Post a Comment