Pages

Thursday, December 8, 2011

The Art of Compulsive Shopping

It seems I can’t go into a store these days without picking up a little something extra for my little boy. Even when I am not going to the store to buy something for him, I end up leaving with an outfit or cool toy.  I used to be that way about shoes. It didn’t even matter if the store I went to had a shoe department. I always managed to find a store with a good shoe department that was within walking distance of my original destination.  Now my light bulb trip to Target turns into a quick trip to the baby department of Target, Marshalls, Ross, and Kohls… all of which are within walking distance of each other. And Carters is literally a 2-minute drive from all of these stores, so of course I have to stop by there as well.
Another dilemma I face is that all of my friends have children the same age as my baby.  This means lots of gift buying. I can’t possibly go into the baby department of my favorite store to buy something for someone else’s child and not pick up something for my own. I would feel like I was cheating on him. And I certainly can’t buy something really adorable for someone else’s little boy and not pick up the same adorable item for my little boy. I would feel like a bad mom.

My issues with compulsive buying of all things baby are compounded when there is any type of sale. It could be 1% off, and I am probably going to buy it, and feel justified in having done so. There is something about the words “sale” and “discount” that get me every time. Who on earth can resist a discount, free shipping, or a great coupon?  And stores are just making it way too easy.  It used to be that you had to print out coupons to bring them into the store, but even that hassle is long gone.  Most stores allow you to pull up the coupon on your cell phone now.  How ridiculously convenient is that?  Except Babies R Us.  What's up with those greedy peeps?

While I was pregnant with our son, I got busted at Babies R Us after sneaking a stash of coupons from behind an empty cash register.  I wouldn’t have had to steal the coupons if the stingy @$$ cashier would have given me more than one coupon.  So I took matters into my own hands, snagged a handful of coupons, and got busted. I left the store with my tail between my legs… and the entire stash of coupons I had snagged. Muahaha! My hubby was mortified when I told him how I had ended up with 12 Babies R Us coupon packets for 20% of anything in the store. But he sure didn’t mind using them a couple of weeks later when we went to pick up some pricey baby gear! 

No comments:

Post a Comment